-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Connecting external hard drives

  • From: "Don101" <don101@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 08:11:56 -0400

Roger,
Any power supply can only supply so much power.  In a laptop that amount is
as small as possible to minimize heat.  That means there is not a lot of
extra power for extra devices.

If you have more devices plugged in than USB ports built in then it is
likely a powered hub would better meet your needs.  This is especially true
for some Maxtor (and maybe other brands) 2.5 inch hard drives because they
require two USB ports and draw power from both.  On my Maxtor 250GB they are
labeled "Power" and "Power + Data".

Power demands from USB devices can also be a problem with desktop computers.
Especially older ones with a smaller power supply.  I encourage my customers
to use a powered hub for anything that draws more power than a keyboard,
mouse or card reader and to always use a powered one when it will occupy the
last available port on the computer/laptop.

Don