-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Application Octet stream

  • From: RMB White <roguer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 12:21:50 +1300

GMan!!,

Thank you for weighing in with seigneurial sagacity.  This problem has
been annoying me for over a year but rather than ask the dumbest
question, I have been trying to sort it out by myself.

The attachments and/or inline pictures (moving and/or still) come from
different friends or acquaintances so I don't think THEY are ALL
turkeys, and therefore it must be ME or settings on MY laptop.

I am using  Thunderbird 2.0.0.19 with Firefox 3.0.5 as browser, and
there are three variations of the problem

1. an attachment with NO extension which I double click and gives "You
have chosen to open <name of file> which is a application/octet-stream
from mailbox://. What should Thunderbird do with this? Open with
(Browse) or Save to Disc "

 I save to Desktop, where I double click and get "Choose the program you
want to open this file <Browse>"
I have tried Thunderbird/Firefox/Irfanview/WMV/PowerPoint/Nero Photosnap
viewer/Windows Picture and fax viewer, ALL without success.

2. Some emails I receive have inline pictures and when I try to forward
these to other friends, my Sent box shows the message as having gone
thru but WITHOUT the pictures

3. Others with inline pictures which I try to forward, go thru with a
border round where the picture(s) should be and have
    a) NO picture but tiny red diamond in the top R corner of each
border, OR
    b) NO pictures but the border where each picture SHOULD be is picked
out in pecked red line(s)

I can send you privately examples of the above if you wish ( and if it
would not be a nuisance)

Perhaps I should  sell my computer and take up rug-making??

Roger W

,