-=PCTechTalk=- GPS & C/Laptop - more questions

  • From: "Tech Rose - LoveBytes" <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 13:25:17 -0700

Thanks Don & Mike...

The info was so helpful.

It was sort of like turning on the light.  I had some of the tools...just
did not know what worked with what or how.

I had seen the Microsoft Streets & Maps for years..but never saw the GPS
part.  Thanks so much.
I looked at that..and at the Garmin.

I have a couple/3 of questions... if you do not mind.

1.  Does the Microsoft Streets & Maps SAY the STREET NAMES?  I would prefer
actually HEARING the street name as opposed to just hearing turn in 500
feet.

2.  My other question is..Microsoft Streets & Maps 2008 WITH CONNECTED
SERVICES says it has the MSN Direct Receiver.  Is this what receives the FM
signal which gives you the traffic info?  If not then do I need something
else?  Any experience with it?

3.  Do you use some sort of device to HOLD the laptop in place or do you
just let it sit on the passenger seat if you are alone?  (I know you cannot
put it on the dash as you could not see out the window.  Or, since it
'speaks' to you... do you just 'listen' to it?  (If you just 'listen' to it,
then... it is even more important to me..that is SAY the Street Names.)
Any helpful hints to not have my laptop flying around the van would be
helpful...lol!  I am guessing I would probably try to put it between the
seats and fasten it down some way.

The good news:

We even have a Coleman 400 Watt Power Inverter in the van already.  Jerry
got it a while back when it was on sale DIRT cheap.  (Has a fuse, fan, two
outlets and will do UP to 800 Watts)
We can use it to charge our scooters if they are run down.
We also have one we use (especially at this time of year when the temps go
into the 110+ degree range) for the refrigerator.  It helps putting meat and
stuff in it when on our way home from shopping.
It is also helpful on trips.  It will either keep things hot or cold.

We are careful not to overuse them.  We may use them like once a month.
But, with the GPS, it will be a bit more, but NOT very often.  So, this will
be perfect for us!

Thanks for your help!
Rose
Las Vegas