[pchelpers] Re: word to the wise

  • From: "Ekhart GEORGI (last name last)" <ekhart.georgi@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 19:49:08 +0300

Hi Billy

Yes, there are many ways to get malware without spending time on
obviously suspect pages. It seems the most common way is to first get
infected with a "harmless" browser hijacker that then results in a
malicious one. I don't know enough about this to say whether the first
just lowers your defenses or whether it's actually in cahoots with the
second wave.

It seems even respectable sites are getting increasingly involved with
the adware business, which is often only a short step from spyware and
worse. Yahoo and even Google are openly fraternizing with very dubious
company. Recently Spybot's automatic download blocker informed me that
pcmag.com tried to download DoubleClick. I'll have to ask on the Firefox
forum whether Spybot is just overly sensitive or whether Doubleclick
could have got past Firefox's defenses if i didn't have Spybot installed
and its download blocker turned on (Immunize on the main menu).

I have often criticized PC Mag before, but i must admit they have
interesting articles. Those by Dvorak would be enough to make a visit
worthwhile. The newest one is especially interesting
www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1601482,00.asp
I suppose the date 11 days ahead of today is an error, or do they always
publish articles in the online version two weeks ahead of the print version?
(If you need help with "bupkes":
www.word-detective.com/052699.html#bupkes)

> However, do I understand that if I'd closed down the AVG control centre, the
> program you told me to use would have not told me to run AVG and then
> deleted the trojan if I right clicked on the file it found?

Yes and no. First of all, TDS never told you to run AVG. That was AVG
telling you to run AVG. (It said "AVG Resident Shield" at the top of
that warning.) You see what happende was that AVG noticed when TDS tried
to scan the trojan and prevented access by TDS.
(Now you can imagine what kind of a mess computers can be in when people
have more than one antivirus program running at the same time -- you can
have Ad-aware and Spybot and SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard running at
the same time though).

If you'd shut down the AVG Control Center, that would not have turned
off AVG. To do that, you have to open the Control Center and disable the
so-called Resident Shield there.

Ek