[pchelpers] Re: plus pointer freeze

  • From: "Louis M Hall" <lhall1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:18:00 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott McNay" <wizard@xxxxxxxx>
To: "Louis M Hall" <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 6:21 PM
Subject: [pchelpers] Re: OE adds unwanted attachment, plus pointer freeze

> Hi Louis,
>
> Monday, June 28, 2004, 9:32:06 AM, you wrote:
>
> LMH> Now, I have to fix my freezing pointer that is driving me
> LMH> nuts.  I have cleaned the mouse
> LMH> several times. Next, I will substitute another mouse.  If
> LMH> this doesn't isolate my problem,
> LMH> all I can think of to do is to reload OE6.

Thanks Scott,

> Is it the mouse freezing or is Windows freezing?
[The pointer freezes on the screen. I have not switched to another mouse,
as yet. When my pointer freezes, I can't seem to do much unless there
are keyboard strokes for making things happen.  When there is a freeze
up of the pointer, as I remember, the keys are ineffective.  On occasion I
have just turned the computer, off to on, and the reboot fixes things.

A stretch, I have my mouse wire running from behind my monitor, then
across the table, then under my keyboard.  This
results in only about a six inch portion of the mouse wire from the mouse to
under the keyboard.  Maybe,  I have created a short here.]

> If you have a wireless mouse, replace the batteries.  Most wireless
> mice are optical, though.
[not wireless]

> If the mouse seems to be frozen, shaking the mouse should cause the
> pointer to move slightly.  If not, then Windows is frozen, not the
> mouse.  Do all of the standard clean-ups, including malware scans.
[Yes, shaking allows me to come to life on fourteen our of fifteen times. One
out of fifteen, I just reboot.

[I did a search of malware, came across a spyware detector that said it
would search for spyware, ad ware and malware. I've got some software
on the system that checks out spyware.  Do I need more? What is malware?]

I feel like I should do a mouse substitute soon, to determine if this problem
is mechanical.  If I find it is, should I just go buy another mouse, or take
advantage
of the three year warranty on this Dell computer.