[pchelpers] Re: Preview pane and the dangerous world of Microsoftand dishonest business people

  • From: "Ekhart GEORGI (last name last)" <Ekhart.GEORGI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 14:57:21 +0300

> My Outlook Express doesn't automatically open the first e-mail in my inbox.
> I turned that off so long ago I don't even remember how I did it.

Please try to remember and let me know how you did that trick. I stopped
using OE ages ago, but i like to stay informed about it to help all the
poor people who still use it.

And since the guru on
http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/vir100501.html:
doesn't know about it, i'm afraid your setting doesn't help. You only
thought you could stop OE from opening the first email in your inbox.
What he means with the following is in the background, virtually,
without the message "physically" i.e. visually opening in a new window
(which is what you may have been able to find a setting for --
Microsoft's approach to run any script or other command thrown at it in
IE and OE and elsewhere and to have all services enabled by default is
not something you can turn off easily; it's the company philosophy):

 >     Even with the automatic preview turned off, even if you never view
 > messages in the preview pane, Outlook Express automatically opens the
 > first message that arrives in an empty Inbox.

And don't worry about being overly cautious or downright paranoid. Heck,
you're about as happy-go-lucky, reckless, and downright "carefree" as
they come: remember you're using LookOUT Express despite knowing how
dangerous it is and despite being told about all the other safe email
programs available.

Ekhart