[pchelpers] Re: Font Size

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Deb Pfingsten <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 22:43:45 -0500

Hi Deb,

Friday, June 11, 2004, 10:31:45 PM, you wrote:

DP> This brings back faint memories of trying to print reports at a job I had. I
DP> had forgotten all about that problem of certain printers changing the font
DP> due to not recognizing it. We might assume that the computer controls the
DP> printer. Not so.
DP> So this information from Scott is an important piece to keep in the file
DP> cabinet.

Actually, there are many problems due to fonts. Part of the problem is
that the printer has a built-in set of fonts, which may not be exactly
the same (or act the same in all conditions) as the computer's font of
the same name. Because of that, ad because there are many fonts that
the computer may have and use which the printer doesn't know about,
printers support soft fonts, in which the computer sends the font info
to the printer as part of the print job. Many printers also support
graphics fonts, in which a bitmap of the font is sent to the printer.
The last possibility is for the application to simply convert the
entire document to a bitmap image and send that to the printer. Each
technique has its' pros and cons.  There are cases where one setting
may produce correct results with a certain application, and cases
where a different setting is needed for another application.

I remember a few years ago, I was trying to get a mapping program
(DeLorme, I think) to print correctly to a printer; I'm thinking it
was a Panasonic KX-P4440 or something like that, but not certain. When
printing maps, only the first half of the page would print. Turns out
there was a setting to switch between bitmap and raster mode, and
changing that (to raster mode, I think) caused the maps to print
correctly. This would have been under Windows 95 or 98 at the time.

--Scott.