[pchelpers] Re: Article: Why the FCC should die

  • From: John Durham <john.modec@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 07:27:33 +1200

I will try to answer your points individually.

George wrote:

>I think it could be argued that members of PCHelpers could be affected by
>what the FCC does or does not plan to do. It was my understanding from a
>recent survey that was taken that the majority of PCHelpers members are
>interested in having links to articles about technology made available for
>those who are interested to click on.

Those in the US may be affected, but the rest of us are not likely to
be. I hope it is worthwhile for those who are.

>Judging from the title of the article
>that it was probably just another "Down With The Government" rant, I passed
>on engaging the link to the article when another newsletter I get presented
>it.

It is mainly a political article, which makes it of doubtful value here.

> I read the article here to see why some feel it totally irrelevant to
>PCHelpers and I don't see your reasoning, though I was not personally
>interested in it. Was it only supposed to be for the moderator to send links
>to articles he thought others might find interesting or amusing? Why is
>anything not approved by the moderator allowed to come through?

Anyone can send in links to interesting articles. Moderating does not
stop that. A moderator is only needed to make decisions on messages that
are over quoted, or that contain other errors the list system is
confused by.

> Should I
>expect to find open censure if an article I suggest finds others
>uninterested?

Lack of interest is not a factor in the matter, but relevancy is.
Submitted articles and links should contribute in a positive way to
helping members manage their PC needs, or contribute useful knowledge.
The article in question did not immediately appear to do that.

> These are not rhetorical questions, John. I sincerely want to
>get pinned down in my mind just what is acceptable here and what is not. It
>is a great place to be, thanks to you, and I want to see the kinks worked
>out to make it a better experience for everyone.

Thanks, please keep contributing good things.

--
Regards, John Durham <http://modecideas.com/contact.html?sig>
ICQ number 112663246