[pchelpers] Re: Article: Why the FCC should die

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: George <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 11:11:24 -0500

Hi George,

Sunday, June 13, 2004, 9:05:42 AM, you wrote:

G> I see talk of telephone service (which affects PCHelpers on dialup)
G> VoIP (which some of us might want or even need to use)
G> PC Tuner cards (which could affect some of us when upgrading)
G> Mosaic (the author submitting that the FCC keeps us in the kind of
G> technology stall we would see if we were still using Mosaic today-- Any
G> PCHelpers prefer Mosaic?)

G> I think it could be argued that members of PCHelpers could be affected by
G> what the FCC does or does not plan to do. It was my understanding from a

Uh oh, now John's going to boot you for ranting!  ;)

The FCC also handles cable. So, they're directly relevant to DSL,
cable internet, and WiFi, and possibly satellite internet, in the U.S.

Seriously, though, it's clear that the actions of the world affect the
U.S. members, especially when it comes to the Internet... and vice
versa. For example, if not for the wide availability of broadband
internet in the US, the rest of the world would be feeling much less
impact from spam, etc. And vice versa.

I saw a recent article about a ship in an Australian port, I think it
was, which was disrupting communications in the city, due to
mismatches in the radio frequencies. After a something like that, I
suspect it'd be better to create a global authority whose primary job
is to prevent frequency conflict. It doesn't need to have any
enforcement authority; local governments can take care of that. It
just needs to be in charge of the frequency map; use incompatible
fequencies at significantly increased peril of your customers losing
connection in certain locations, or getting into trouble for
disrupting communications of others.

O, What a Tangled Web We Weave! It's often difficult to say what will
or not be relevant in the future. I saw an article about broadband
over power lines (BPL) finally being rolled out for wide-scale testing
in the U.S., but I didn't think it of that much interest, since BPL
articles have been appearing for a while now. This article didn't seem
to have immediate application, yet it may be relevant in the future. I
think other countries have similar organizations to the U.S.'s FCC.

--Scott.