[passcoalition] Re: Request for an Update

  • From: Karen Gourgey <karen.gourgey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Newman, Margaret'" <MNewman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 19:20:14 +0000

Dear Margaret:

Thank you for your response to our request.  I have shared it with our Steering
Committee and we do have some questions.

When we met back in December of 2010, you indicated that we expected to be
looking at 100 aps installations per year.  Can you put the choice to announce
only 30 in context for us?  What are the plans for the other approximately 70
locations on the list?  We are very much interested in how these initial 30
were chosen, especially, since they are all high priority in terms of consumer
need.     We hope that the choices reflect the broadened criteria that were
also mentioned at our December 16 meeting and that there will be more to follow.

We’re very glad to hear that plans are proceeding for the workshop for your
signaling people; we hope that in addition to that, you will involve PASS in
design discussions, particularly in situations where there are no absolute
“best practices,” but where additional information for the blind traveler is
crucial, the pedestrian plaza is a case in point.

Finally, let me mention two language issues.  This is not meant to be
“nitpicky” or overly politically correct, but it does actually have
implications for our work.  First, APS stands for “Accessible” rather than
audible Pedestrian Signal; it’s an important distinction, since the
vibro-tactile arrow is to provide information to pedestrians who are deaf-blind.

Second, we are people who are blind and visually impaired.  It’s important to
mention both, especially when addressing people who are new to our
accommodations and travel needs.  If, for example, when you are talking with
companies bidding on the new way-finding system, if you say only “sight
impaired,” they are liable to come back with a proposal that essentially says
“we’ll just make it bigger.”  Obviously, that won’t help those of us who are
blind.  We are very comfortable with the use of the word blind, for the sake of
clarity if nothing else.

Regarding the 7th avenue and 23rd street issue, I’m in touch with Commissioner
Forgione, as we have some concerns and suggestions regarding the difficulties
on the southeast corner.  I must apologize to you as I already did to her,
because I missed her request for input when it was initially sent, so I’m
hopeful that we can still discuss this, especially if we can do it in the next
couple of days.

Thanks for listening, and we very much look forward to continuing to work
together.

Sincerely,

Karen Gourgey, PASS Chair

Karen Luxton Gourgey Ed.D., Director
Computer Center for Visually Impaired People
Baruch College, City University of New York
One Bernard Baruch Way, Box H-0648
New York, NY 10010
Phone: (646) 312-1426
Fax: (646) 312-1421