[passcoalition] Request for an Update

  • From: Karen Gourgey <karen.gourgey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "mnewman@xxxxxxxxxxx" <mnewman@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Sapolin, Matthew" <MSapolin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 20:24:40 +0000

        Dear Margaret:

I'm writing on behalf of the PASS Coalition to inquire about progress with the
list of requested intersections for accessible pedestrian signals.  We note
that the installation of countdowns, plazas, and bike lanes is proceeding
apace.  We read with interest the Times article describing the City's plans to
pilot new signage containing street maps, and we trust that DOT is considering
ways that pedestrians who are blind or visually impaired will be able to
benefit from this additional information.  but we have not seen any movement in
terms of APS installations.  The City is becoming more difficult to navigate
for us almost on a daily basis, and we can't afford to lose the momentum we
thought we had begun to achieve earlier this year.

As I think you know, we stand ready to assist and support DOT in any way we
can, but we do need to know where things stand with regard to DOT's plans for
aps installations and for ensuring safe and independent access to all of the
city's streets and avenues for people with vision loss.

We look forward to hearing from you and to continuing to work together, so that
new York city really can become an unparalleled example of access for all.

Sincerely,

Karen Gourgey, PASS Chair

Karen Luxton Gourgey Ed.D., Director
Computer Center for Visually Impaired People
Baruch College, City University of New York
One Bernard Baruch Way, Box H-0648
New York, NY 10010
Phone: (646) 312-1426
Fax: (646) 312-1421