RE: with all this talk about RAC...

  • From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 04:48:07 +1000

Once more with feeling, and without HTML.  :(

You know, I've kept out of a lot of this discussion because people will jus=
t say "He's from Oracle" and ignore me - which should happen on a regular b=
asis anyway (the ignoring bit, not saying I'm from Oracle).  ;)

But I think there's one point which is THE most important point to me with =
RAC that hasn't been sufficiently highlighted yet in this discussion.  Of t=
he sites I've worked with that have used RAC (and since that was all I did =
for a long time, that's a fairly large number, at least 42), the ones that =
have run into problems have largely been those who have gone into a RAC env=
ironment (or even OPS for that matter) without having the necessary project=
 management best practices in place.

Let me explain what I mean by project management best practices.  A perfect=
 example is given in Michael's reply.  "What might happen if you have an un=
skilled DBA walking into a site that already has your RAC installation and =
has never supported such?"  Whether it's RAC or not, having an unskilled DB=
A come into ANY site that requires HA and/or the scalability that RAC offer=
s is a recipe for disaster.  Likewise, if you don't have absolutely rock so=
lid change control, you are just asking for trouble.  One site I worked wit=
h had NOTHING outside of their production environment, so guess where they =
tested new application versions or kernel patches? And for a third example,=
 there was one site that had a small disk problem - lost one of their mirro=
red control files.  Did they just copy the mirror back again?  Nope - they =
brought in their last backup of the control file.  Why, for crying out loud=
?  Well, in this case, it was to prove their backup and recovery techniques=
 needed a bit of work (tongue firmly in cheek).  They'd never tested their =
backup.  When they tried to recover the control file from back, a completel=
y unnecessary action of course, they found their backups had never worked! =
 :(

The point I'm trying to make is simply this - HA, whether RAC or not, from =
any database vendor, is a very unforgiving environment.  It will point out =
any weaknesses in your operational procedures, staff, hardware and software=
 configurations.  Yes there are going to be technical issues, just as there=
 is with any hardware and software.  To me, though, that particular problem=
 is far less likely to cause you grief than the non-technical issues that c=
an arise simply because you're not ready to support HA.

Pete
=A0
Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook
=A0
"Oh no, it's not.=A0 It's much harder than that!"
Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA