RE: with all this talk about RAC...

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F" <thomas.mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 08:27:18 -0400

Bill,

I would think that the most compelling argument for using RAC would be the
need to provide un-interupted up-time of the application.
Having two servers accessing one database would provide the most complete
access to the database.

The thing that bothers me the most about this is that database servers, if
properly managed, *can* remain up all the time, except for software
upgrades.  The current hardware platforms that we run now are very very
good.  Hardly ever any downtime is required.

So balance that against the cost and complexity of RAC, and come up with a
risk assessment for your site to determine if you really really *need* RAC
as compared to *wanting* RAC.

Just my 2 cents.  I will have to address this issue soon.  We bought two IBM
P690 machines for just this purpose.  The bad news is that the second P690
is still sitting in the box while we wait for our second data center site to
be created.  Once it is up, we will need to take a hard look at this issue.

Good Luck.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional