Re: should one use ANSI join syntax when writing an Oracle application?

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ashton Anthony (Mr A) EDU" <Anthony.Ashton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 09:12:34 -0400

On 10/17/2006 08:53:56 AM, Ashton Anthony (Mr A) EDU wrote:
> Mladen,
>
> Don't be resistant to change

Why not? I am a compassionate conservative with results. Please, do not
misunderestimate me.
Change must be good for me to accept it. I simply do not see what ANSI joins
are good for.

> - Appreciate the differences and argue for/against without using emotive
> language.

WTF? I thought this was an Oracle list, not the Oprah Show. Where are my car
keys?
There is nothing under my chair!

> Many people (especially younger developers) will find the ANSI syntax easier
> to read and understand.

That is because they haven't yet acquired the precious skill called "logic". It
is
clearly visible from the queries those younger developers write. Many people
also
think that the end of the world is near and that we live in the rapture times.
I would
recommend the "Life of Brian" to both younger developers and southern Baptists.
We
shall talk of ANSI joins again when you are able to tell me the airspeed
velocity
of an unladen swallow.

--
Mladen Gogala