Re: should one use ANSI join syntax when writing an Oracle application?

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Bernard.Polarski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 14:44:29 +0100

I find that it helps to think of the analytic functions as a presentation layer added into the SQL.

First write the SQL to acquire the data and
aggregate it to produce the correct result
set.

Then add analytic columns which add value
to the data. Then optionally use some analytic
results to reduce the output again.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.oracle.com/technology/community/oracle_ace/ace1.html#lewis

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Cost Based Oracle: Fundamentals

----- Original Message ----- From: "Polarski, Bernard" <Bernard.Polarski@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Having said that, the last tendency of analytic function violate 100%
the philosophy of SQL which was keep the syntax simple and leave difficulty on the action
performed. Now if I don't practise the rollup,
I tend to forget the syntax.

-- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l