RE: should one use ANSI join syntax when writing an Oracle application?

  • From: "Laimutis Nedzinskas" <Laimutis.Nedzinskas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 14:39:22 -0000

>But on the other hand, from my experience, application performance always
>prevails code clarity requirements.
Oh yes, but on the other hand Oracle bug free code prevails over all the rest
:-)
I mean I was told that on 9i someone hit ANSI join syntax bug. Let's hope it
was a unique case and Oracle already fixed it.
But otherwise yes - if used *properly* ANSI syntax may be more readable.

It's only that ANSI comitee forgot to include special alter session flags:
Disable "select *(star) from"
Disable "natural join"
And may be a few more default runtime behaviours should be disabled. And yes,
those flags should be disabled by default of course.