Re: salary idea

  • From: Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mdinh@xxxxxxxxx, post.ethan@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 09:45:36 -0700 (PDT)

"My guess is the supply of experienced applicants is increasing in this economy
(HP and IBM seem to layoff endlessly) so I would be careful with demanding too
much."

Now I'm in the Denver area and have "head hunters" calling me daily, so I'm
going to have to disagree with this statement.  There are a number of others on
this list that I consider quite "high on the DBA food chain" so they can
correct me if they think I'm wrong here...:)

I've been told my many recruiters that they have a ton of positions they can't
fill-  they need senior DBA's who can do more than just Oracle and that is
where I have a solid niche in-  multi-platform, so of course, I get a lot of
calls.  They can find plenty of folks who are either Oracle or SQL Server that
are senior level, but if you are senior level in Oracle and SQL Server, along
with MySQL-  well, you are pretty much set around here to set your price.

I agree that if you are willing to learn and address the databases they need to
have managed, no matter the flavor-  your value goes up-  WAY UP....

Kellyn Pedersen
Sr. Database Administrator
I-Behavior Inc.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kellynpedersen
www.dbakevlar.blogspot.com

"Go away before I replace you with a very small and efficient shell script..."

Date: Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 10:12 AM

Salaries are just a price for goods and like every price they rise and fall
with supply and demand. My guess is the supply of experienced applicants is
increasing in this economy (HP and IBM seem to layoff endlessly) so I would be
careful with demanding too much. There may be other applicants which have the
same level of experience as you and are willing to work for less. Keep in mind
that many times these laundry lists of requirements are pie in the sky wish
lists and employers often settle for someone that are a less than perfect
match. I have seen applicants come back with sky high "consulting" salary
requirements and they don't often get hired unless the particular project is in
a real bind. NY state taxes are up there, so take that into consideration and
they are likely to rise in coming years as that state is one with the serious
financial issues.