Re: salary idea

  • From: Ethan Post <post.ethan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bellows, Bambi (Comsys)" <bbel5@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 13:25:20 -0500

If that is the case and perhaps it is it can only mean that demand is
increasing and supply is decreasing, or we are seeing inflation. Since I
believe we are currently in a deflationary cycle the latter is not likely.
If salaries are on the rise I would not expect that to hold true for long.
For one, there are still many areas of our profession that can still be
commoditized and there are now and will continue to be financial pressures
from the economy to continue to cut costs and to drive out inefficiency.
Think Oracle doesn't have plans to manage your databases? Just because they
can't do it today don't think they won't be able to someday and that they
don't have bright people thinking about how to do it. What is going to drive
all this is the struggling economy which I believe is going to continue for
many years to come. The other issue is the economy, there is no real
recovery (my opinion) and we are headed into many years of trouble. This
means less spending in all non governmental sectors, less investment and
high unemployment. That is lower demand and higher supply. All of this is
going to add up to lower salaries in the future. If salaries do go higher it
will be when inflation eventually kicks in and your buying power will not be
any higher.

Fun conversation, hopefully I did not stray too much off topic. I have been
studying economics for the past couple years as a hobby. If any of this
interests you and you are looking for one good blogger to read on this
subject I would recommend Mish Shedlock (just google Mish). There is also a
good Google Talk by Mish on youtube.

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Bellows, Bambi (Comsys) <bbel5@xxxxxxxxxxxx