Re: how good is oracle tech support?

  • From: "Michael McMullen" <ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 10:40:03 -0400

I find they are quite good when it comes to priority 1 cases. Maybe they get
assigned to people with more experience? And, oracle tech support is far
superior to most other companies that I've dealt with. But help desk is an
entry level job and people don't make their careers out of first line
support (I'm sure there are exceptions). So the good ones probably get
promoted and the rest cut and paste. I usually open tars to show management
that I've done it, but really I get the solution from this list first.
My latest tar was corruption which is usally hardware. I quoted all the
metalink articles on corruption in my tar (and I went through them) and sent
the rda. The analyst first response was to send me the metalink articles I
already quoted and to set db_block_checksum = true. I pointed out that this
was 9.2 and true was the default setting which would have showed up in the
rda. But all I wanted from them was to say corruption is usually due to
hardware so I could beat the SA with it.

Mike
ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx