Re: database monitoring tools - what is your short list of requirements?

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 19:46:49 -0300

Well, as we have over 800 dbs and about 600 servers, I don't reckon
paging is an option... plus we are still only physical DBA (Not apps
dba) so for blocking locks and resource limits we are reactive (when
we get an error or call from customer, we investigate).

Of course, customer doesn't want to pay for a centralized admin tool,
nor does the company... so we are stuck with sql*plus and a couple of
scripts we all share for basic manual monitoring. I've been pressuring
for a while to centralize access to be able to at least automate these
scripts from a single server... this hasn't happene yet.

But Ideally:

* Application related issues
* Error monitoring (namely OERR)
* Resource Consumption
* Capacity Planning
* Backup status and stats
* rogue SQL
* long operations
* security policies
* password centralization (mostly for dba accounts)
* web interface
* and access to diag and tuning packs would be awesome... but the tool
*should* support similar functionality without access to licensed
packs (in order to support SE mainly)j
* a decen interface to wait interface (?)
* overview (really, checking 50 dbs is one thing, checking 800 is
totally different
* support for custom monitoring
* support for monitoring profles (i.e. prod databases need to monitor
this and that, and non-prod database need to monitor these other
things)

I don't know any app that covers all this, however I am slowly working
on an apex/10gXE (it could run on 10g SE, EE and 11g SE, EE,
obviously, but due to licensing costs XE is a good option) based
application that covers all this. (stuck with the wait interface,
obviously). My idea is to release it publicly (still reading through
Oracle's License and GPL/LGPL) and have a free tool for DBAs. (in case
anyone is interested, you can contact me directly and we can set up a
shared development environment, so far it's just a vm on my laptop).

hth
Alan Bort
Oracle Certified Professional