Re: database monitoring tools - what is your short list of requirements?

  • From: Daniel Fink <daniel.fink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Oracle-L Freelists' <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 08:09:07 -0600

Simple Customization - DBAs know sql and pl/sql. Have the ability to add custom monitoring/alerts using the language of the database...not tcl, not perl (sorry Jared), not java. It would be handy to set alerting thresholds based on return values (<10, 10 - 100, 101 - 1000, >1000).

SQL Monitoring - one problem I have encountered frequently is variable performance of key sql statements. It would be helpful to input a list of sql_ids and have the tool monitor response time and execution plans.

Intelligent Drill Down - any drill down needs to show relevant information for the issue. For example, if the top response time consumer is CPU, the drill down should show the sessions and statements that are consuming cpu time and cpu related operations (latches, logical i/o). And show it all on one screen/page.

Predictive Alerts - very handy with space issues. It should track the rates of space consumption and warn if a space condition will occur within a certain window (say 48 hours). This can be used for other statistics/events so that potential issues can be identified.

--
Daniel Fink

OptimalDBA.com - Oracle Performance, Diagnosis, Data Recovery and Training

OptimalDBA    http://www.optimaldba.com
Oracle Blog   http://optimaldba.blogspot.com

Lost Data?    http://www.ora600.be/

Michael McMullen wrote:

My only requirement is that it do what I want to do when I want it to do it and any instance I want it to without it being a huge gigantic hassle, filled with multiple bugs or require more maintenance/patching than my highly critical db's.