Re: database monitoring tools - what is your short list of requirements?

  • From: Jonathan Intner <jsidba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jkstill@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 17:24:33 -0400

Hi Jared, et al:
One more "what" comment:
Assuming auditing is enabled, alert on outlying behavior, for example,
XX user login failures where XX might be somewhere between 5 and 15 (you
might not want to lock SYSTEM after 10 failures, but you might want to know
they're happening).
[Note that there are a number of activities that warrant auditing...here's a
good paper, http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1689 from Pete Finnegan
that includes a reference to a script to consider using (available here:
http://www.petefinnigan.com/papers/audit.sql).]

Jonathan