Re: database monitoring tools - what is your short list of requirements?

  • From: Daniel Fink <daniel.fink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Oracle-L Freelists' <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 09:32:20 -0600

It is necessary that the monitoring tool be able to monitor itself. Kind of like how PMON and SMON monitor each other.

I really don't care what language the core functionality is written in...as long as it works and is not too much of a resource consumer. It's when I want to add custom monitoring that I want to use the lowest common language. If a new DBA comes onboard and does not know tcl/perl/java, it will take time for them to learn the language and be able to support the customizations/enhance the tool.

Regards,
Daniel Fink

--
Daniel Fink

OptimalDBA.com - Oracle Performance, Diagnosis, Data Recovery and Training

OptimalDBA    http://www.optimaldba.com
Oracle Blog   http://optimaldba.blogspot.com

Lost Data?    http://www.ora600.be/

Rich Jesse wrote:
Simple Customization - DBAs know sql and pl/sql. Have the ability to add
custom monitoring/alerts using the language of the database...not tcl,
not perl (sorry Jared), not java. It would be handy to set alerting
thresholds based on return values (<10, 10 - 100, 101 - 1000, >1000).

Interesting -- I don't think I'd like to rely solely on a product to monitor
itself.  If it should fail, so would the monitor and any notification I
would expect from it.

Perl, OTOH, can be installed as part of the Oracle software.  And it was
surprisingly easy to make my script platform agnostic, even with regard to
filesystems.

Simplicity and stability are two qualities I should have mentioned in a
monitoring tool.

My $.02,
Rich