RE: database migration

  • From: "Michael Fontana" <mfontana@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sjaffarhussain@xxxxxxxxx>, <haroon_a_qureshi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 12:09:18 -0600 (CST)

I think we are slightly moving off-topic here.  The original poster wanted
to compare the various speeds of the methodologies, not if the
methodologies themselves were do-able.

Using RMAN may or may not represent a time-savings from his original
intended purpose - to move the data fast with minimal downtime - because
it will REQUIRE you to keep the source database tablespaces in READONLY
mode while they are:

1)       Being Backed up

2)       Being moved across a network, perhaps

3)       Being restored to a new target.

Since an endian change is being made, archive log application methodology
is out of the picture.

  _____