RE: database migration

  • From: "Michael Fontana" <mfontana@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haroon_a_qureshi@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 14:51:57 -0600 (CST)

I would definitely be engaging Oracle support to assist with your
migration, or at least offer suggestions and best practice methodologies
since Oracle applications are involved.  We found this out when doing an
Oracle BI and datawarehouse migration!

There are many differences in patch sets and release levels of Oracle
applications and supporting database between your platforms.  You may also
have to consider what might be running during a phased migration on the
source that could impact timings (IE - you are migration DB3 while DB1 and
DB2 are doing heavy batch processing and they slow it down).

I have heard of some people having success with logical sql-apply
methodologies for migrating databases across platforms, but have no
experience with it.

Hopefully we have started the ball rolling and you'll get some other
valuable responses.