ZERO Database Downtime???

  • From: "Michael Fontana" <MFontana@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 09:50:25 -0500

Has anyone yet achieved this with Oracle 10g/GRID.

I just went to an Oracle 10g release2 presentation, where it was unequivocally
stated that with proper implementation of GRID, downtime for database and
server patching can be completely avoided using "rolling upgrade" functionality.

I still have users who insist they must have complete application availability
even during schema changes.

Has anyone actually been successful at doing this?

Is it even worthwhile (time, effort, resources) to attempt it?

Is it safe?

Michael Fontana
NTT/Verio
Senior Database Administrator