Re: When one can call oneself expert

  • From: stephen booth <stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kduret@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:33:15 +0000

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:17:25 -0600, Duret, Kathy
<kduret@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Amen!  I have know many Oracle "experts"  with really very little knowledge.
>
> When someone calls themselves an "expert" I usually find myself recycling
> their resume and looking for another candidate.  I usually find these people
> are experts at BS and not Oracle at all.

A big problem I've had is others (especially managers and recruitment
consultants) calling me an expert and generally bigging up my skills
when talking to others.  There's been several occsions that I've been
to a job interview and found that the recruitment consultant has been
creative with my resume, "Some experience" becomes "Extensive
experience".  What's really bad is that I'm sure that this has lost me
some jobs because they've called me in expecting someone who can patch
a 500 node RAC cluster with zero downtime just by looking at it (OK,
slight exageration) and instead they get me.  I could probaby do the
job they originally advertised but because they had had their
expectations built up to an unrealistic level it turns them against
me.

The more I find out the more I realise that there's more to learn and
that a lot of what  I thought was true turns out to be myth.

Stephen