Re: What to keep in ASM?

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Don Seiler" <don@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:22:50 -0500

See inline...

On 2/26/07, Don Seiler <don@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2/25/07, Alex Gorbachev <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Keeping controlfiles/redo on ASM partially, why would you even want to
> consider it?
> Your complex configuration gives you more troubles than benefits -
> it's just a mess of different storage technologies.

So you're suggesting to keep controlfiles/redo completely in ASM?  Or
completely on another filesystem?

If I was you, I wouldn't go to the non-standard setup without a
reason. multiplexing controlfiles and redo logs over ASM and
filesystem is a non-standard configuration and I also don't see a
reason for doing it. If you think it would add you resiliency -
describe why.

> You might have a reason not to trust your backups to ASM but (if you
> are on RAC) you would need cluster file system then.

No this is just a single-instance.  Thanks.

In this case I would doubt if you really need ASM at all but that's
another story. ;-)

> To get your backup to another host here is an option (just a sketch):
> Create separate ASM DG with LUNs visible from both - production and
> development server. Instead of rsync, use RMAN to backup your FRA or
> backup pieces to this special DG. Unmount from production. Mount on
> test host and get backup from there.

I'll show this to my SA and see how he likes it.  Sounds a lot easier
on the system than rsyncing all the data (especially after Sunday's
level 0).  The one issue would be that our restores and duplications
currently take almost 9 hours (as do level 0 backups).  So when I do a
duplication to dev, I do this overnight, which is normally when the
backups would run.  To stick with that current process, I'd need the
disk available to both.

As I mentioned, if you have dedicated DG for backup only (not FRA
location) than you should be able to unmount it and temporary mount on
your development machines subject to SA policies.

Thanks again,
Don.

--
Don Seiler