What to keep in ASM?

  • From: "Don Seiler" <don@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle_l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:52:06 -0600

As part of my 32-to-64-bit server migration, we also want to move our
storage to Oracle ASM.  However I have some questions about some
things going into ASM, and hoping you folks can clear the smoke for
me.

1. RMAN backup files

Currently I take an RMAN backup of our database and archived redo logs
to a slab of disk.  I then rsync this slab to our development server
(for RMAN duplications to refresh dev/QA instances) as well as a third
mirror.

This particular process wouldn't be possible with ASM.  The sum of all
RMAN backup files is 328G (I do delete expired and obsolete
regularly).

Is this something I might want to continue doing to plain old disk?

2. Archived Redo Logs

Actually I don't have an issue with this right now.  I backup archived
logs to RMAN every 2 hours now anyway.

3. Control File copies

Assuming I'd have a most one copy of my control files in ASM, 1-2
others on normal filesystem.  My initial question with this was how
does one go about replacing the ASM copy if it gets damanged, since I
can't just do a filesystem copy of my other copies anymore.  But then
I realized that if this happens, then something serious is probably
wrong with ASM.  Does one do a restore/recovery from RMAN?

4. Online Redo Logs

Similar to #3, the concern is that I can't just do the normal file
system cp to replace a damaged log group member from one of its
siblings.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Don.