Re: What to keep in ASM?

  • From: "Don Seiler" <don@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Alex Gorbachev" <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:45:55 -0600

I just re-read this and realized you are talking about using RMAN to
backup the *backup* to this special ASM DG.  Let me know if I've got
that right!

Don.

On 2/26/07, Don Seiler <don@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> To get your backup to another host here is an option (just a sketch):
> Create separate ASM DG with LUNs visible from both - production and
> development server. Instead of rsync, use RMAN to backup your FRA or
> backup pieces to this special DG. Unmount from production. Mount on
> test host and get backup from there.

I'll show this to my SA and see how he likes it.  Sounds a lot easier
on the system than rsyncing all the data (especially after Sunday's
level 0).  The one issue would be that our restores and duplications
currently take almost 9 hours (as do level 0 backups).  So when I do a
duplication to dev, I do this overnight, which is normally when the
backups would run.  To stick with that current process, I'd need the
disk available to both.

--
Don Seiler
http://seilerwerks.blogspot.com