RE: Was OPS ever certified on Linux?

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Marcin Przepiorowski" <pioro1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 11:02:12 -0400

So, during the 8.0 and 8.1 days I was actually working at one of the first
large-scale e-commerce linux shops.  In those days, you built your own
hardware, or bought hardware from VAResearch (later VALinux) and rolled your
own kernels.

We ran Oracle 8.0 and 8.1 on Red Hat 6.2, 7 and 7.1 (pre-Enterprise Linux
days).  We actually looked at running parallel server, but decided it was too
much complexity and risk, and stuck with plain old Linux for our smaller
databases, and big iron running Solaris for our bigger instances.

There was OPS on Linux available, though, for example - here's a press release
of VALinux demonstrating OPS on Linux @ Linuxworld:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/VA+Linux+to+Showcase+Oracle+Software+On+Linux%3B+First+...-a069748901

I was at that Linuxworld and remember stopping by the booth, but don't remember
much of the technical details about how it was configured.

Indeed, there was no enterprise linux at the time - SuSe (now Novell) and Red
Hat and a few other distributions were constantly releasing patches and
updates, and very often you compiled your own OS versions to pick and choose
the lot of them.

This is why they moved to the EL model - long-term support, guaranteed
consistency of development interfaces, more consistent change paths and
roadmaps.  It was Linux "growing up".

I'm still amazed today that I can install Linux on almost any major vendor's
hardware and it just *works*.

Matt