Using NetApp Filers for a DWH

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 21:00:54 +0800

I am looking for notes / experiences / suggestions about using [or NOT
using] NetApp Filers
for a DataWarehouse [Oracle 9i].

Two areas of concern I have are :
1.  Snapshot areas -- ie, the %age of blocks reserved in a volume to
facilitate snapshots.
In a DWH, a very large [probably 100 to 150%] portion of the database
blocks could be updated
in a day.  How do we size space for Snapshots ?  Would frequent Snapshots
help ?

2. WAFL and "block-redirection" -- if the Filer actually writes each block
seperately on updates,
what the Database might see as "contigous" blocks in an extent where the
rows of the table
have been deleted and reloaded [ie all or almost all of the blocks have
been affected], might very
well be randomly distributed across the disks.  How would multiblock reads
fare ?

Hemant K Chitale
Oracle 9i Database Administrator Certified Professional
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~hkchital