RE: Using NetApp Filers for a DWH

  • From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 09:06:27 -0500

One issue I haven't heard anyone mention is the network link. My
understanding is that the link should be dedicated (separate network card /
ip address), and as fast as possible. My experience is meager and several
years old, but my impression is that sometimes a slow network connection can
cause performance problems with these devices.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.

"We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means
doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case,
the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive."
-- C.S. Lewis