Re: Using NetApp Filers for a DWH

  • From: Matthew Zito <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 02:00:40 -0400

That's not it.  The RAID-4 has nothing to do with this behavior.  The=20
behavior described is symptomatic of a WAFL filesystem with an=20
oversubscribed cache.   Since WAFL will never overwrite an existing=20
block, but simply append writes to the next available slot in the free=20=

block list, the tablespace described will effectively be located=20
half-and-half on two different filesystem regions.

If there was enough (read: a lot) of cache in the filer, this problem=20
would be mitigated, since all of the recently modified blocks would be=20=

in cache, but overall this is definitely the worst-case situation for a=20=

Netapp.

Thanks,
Matt

--