Re: MBA for database people

  • From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ryan.gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 08:36:31 -0400

Tuesday, August 3, 2004, 8:17:57 AM, ryan.gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
(ryan.gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
rgcn> Then I want to either do a masters in computer science
rgcn> or an MBA. I have met several technical people with
rgcn> MBAs. Do you find the information useful?

I've never actually gotten a masters of anything, but I've
thought about it often. If I get a Masters in Comp Sci, then
that's just more of the same, and I can't see where it adds
much value. I've always thought that the thing to do would
be to get a masters in some other field that potentially
compliments computer science, in which my comp sci knowledge
would be an asset. I minored in business, and I've found the
meager knowledge from the courses I took for that minor to
be incredibly helpful over the years. An MBA is one option
that I've thought about over the years. More recently I've
thought about Forestry, which is a surprisingly high-tech
operation. A guy I know who just retired from the Forest
Service used to spend his days, not in the woods, but at a
very nicely equipped workstation running ESRI software, from
which he generated all sorts of maps and such. He even
worked with Oracle on the back end, and had to learn enough
about databases to be able to find the data he wanted
amongst all the tables and columns in the schemas he worked
with.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick --- Brighten the corner where you are
http://Gennick.com * 906.387.1698 * mailto:jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxx

Join the Oracle-article list and receive one
article on Oracle technologies per month by
email. To join, visit http://five.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/oracle-article,
or send email to Oracle-article-request@xxxxxxxxxxx and
include the word "subscribe" in either the subject or body.