RE: Standy database on standard edition

  • From: "Patterson, Joel" <jpatterson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 09:46:43 -0400

The SR analyst has essentially sent me to
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/license.112/e10594/editions.htm which was
not entirely unexpected.   So I'm pushing back to see if I can get a
commitment.   It is rather a mute point at the moment since Data Guard is not
available on Standard Edition.

As to your remarks, I thought someone would say that.  It's a windows machine
and when the services start the database starts.   He has some tools that
creates the database, and/or exports/imports his schema, so it sounds like the
product is as self-contained as possible.

I mentioned early on that it is an embedded license so the application and the
database are sold as a licensed unit.   Vendor sells to client, client doesn't
want to do the care and feeding.   It is apparently very restricted but with
caveats for 'automated' processes, or 3rd party processes or something to that
affect.

Just remember, I don't know what the details are, and I am not communicating
directly, but indirectly, and I am sure that something is being left out or
lost in translation -- I was just curious for some clarifications and opinions,
especially since Data Guard and standby are very close.  One is just better at
doing the job.

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
904 928-2790

--
Joel Patterson
Sr. Database Administrator | Enterprise Integration

http://www.entint.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Enterprise-Integration/212351215444231
http://twitter.com/#!/entint http://www.linkedin.com/company/18276?trk=tyah
http://www.youtube.com/user/ValueofIT

This message (and any associated files) is intended only for the use
of the addressee and may contain information that is confidential,
subject to copyright or constitutes a trade secret. If you are not the
copying or distribution of this message, or files associated with this
message, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in
error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and
deleting it from your computer. Messages sent to and from us may be
monitored. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. [v.1.1]