Re: Standy database on standard edition

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 22:18:49 +1000

On 14/06/2013 9:37 PM, Patterson, Joel wrote:
> Its news to me.  I don't talk to the vendor, or the client directly -- but
> doubt if I would argue against his licensing opinions even if I suspect they
> are misplaced.     He says even sqlplus cannot be used...

That would indeed be a first in Oracle licensing!  sqlplus is essential
to start and shutdown and manage the db, even if OEM is being used.  I
suspect there is something else weird going on there.  Perhaps the
Oracle licensing was provided as an embedded part of a third party
application from the supplier?  If so, then indeed the licensing will be
very  restricted.  As in: nothing but the kernel code will be licensed.

> ???
>
> Backups can be done by a 3rd party tool which could mean home grown or
> purchased I suppose -- but not rman...   I'm just not going there, it is what
> it is.

Yeah, if it is an embedded license you'll need a third party tool for
just about everything.  Very weird, I didn't know Oracle was still doing
that sort of thing.  Was all the rage back in the 80s but people wised
up after that.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto