RE: Source Control for DB objects

  • From: "Dunbar, Norman (Capgemini)" <norman.dunbar.capgemini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <JChirco@xxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 13:53:05 +0100

Hi Jeff,

>  What is everybody using as a source control for your
packages/procedures/functions etc...?  And how do you have it
configure/setup?

Officially, all our development work is done by third parties. Within
the team, we use Subversion.

For each project, a repository is created. Then our scripts are checked
in/out etc from there. When a set of scripts goes "live" we (I) create a
release tag for the particular release and shove it into the tags
folder. (All our work is done in trunk.)  So far, we don't have any
branches though - I believe that they *might* add some fun and games
later on when we merge them back into trunk.

> I would also like to see if there is something different that could
handle multiple check outs by different users.  I know this could get
messy.

Umm, Subversion copes very well with multiple checkouts by numerous
people. If you and I both check out the same files, and we change
different ones, no problems.

If we both edit the same file(s) but in totally different places, still
no problem.

If we edit an overlapping location in the file, then one of us will get
the commit - whoever is first to commit wins - the other will get a
conflict and will fail to commit. That user will then have to sort out
the  conflict in one of three ways - assuming you commit first and I get
the conflict:

* I can give up my changes and accept yours;

* I can force my changes to overwrite yours;

* I can revert my changes AND yours;

* I can work through all the changes and select your or mine for each
conflicting area in the file.

Subversion works well for me, and my scripts. It's not fashionable now
since Git and Mercurial came on the scene with their new fangled
"distributed" source control which has it's advantages, I admit, but I
much prefer Subversion.

HTH

Cheers,

Norm.

Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged.
If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender
immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should
still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under
the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation.  Email
messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may
also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business
purposes.

If we have sent you information and you wish to use it please read our terms
and conditions which you can get by calling us on 08708 506 506.  Find out more
about the Environment Agency at www.environment-agency.gov.uk