RE: Source Control for DB objects

  • From: Robin Moffatt <Robin.Moffatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 14:42:43 +0100

Hi Jeff,

> As far as source control I think I would like to use Subversion but I am not
> just sure how to configure
> it for our environment.
> Is it possible to just check out a single file from a project and not the
> whole
> project?  I don't really want to check out all files in a project if I am
> only changing one, or if another
> person needs to modify another file in that same project I don't want to have
> to worry about merging.

Norm's given a good comprehensive reply, but one thing to point out which may
not be obvious -- with subversion you don't take any kind of lock when you
checkout.
My understanding of it is that a checkout is really just a download of a given
version of the files to your machine. There is a separate operation to take a
lock on file(s), but this is explicit.
Other source control tools do checkout+lock as one, this may be what you're
thinking of in your reluctance to checkout all files in subversion.

Robin
--
Robin Moffatt
http://rnm1978.wordpress.com

Wm Morrison Supermarkets Plc is registered in England with number 358949. The
registered office of the company is situated at Gain Lane, Bradford, West
Yorkshire BD3 7DL. This email and any attachments are intended for the
addressee(s) only and may be confidential.

If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender by replying to
the email that you have received in error and then destroy the email.
If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy or rely
on the email or its attachments in any way.

This email does not constitute a contract in writing for the purposes of the
Law of Property (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1989.

Our Standard Terms and Conditions of Purchase, as may be amended from time to
time, apply to any contract that we enter into. The current version of our
Standard Terms and Conditions of Purchase is available at:
http://www.morrisons.co.uk/gscop

Although we have taken steps to ensure the email and its attachments are
virus-free, we cannot guarantee this or accept any responsibility,
and it is the responsibility of recipients to carry out their own virus checks.