Re: Something is filling up my /oracle file system - URGENT

  • From: "Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GuangMei@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 15:17:32 -0500

Guang,

I'm assuming you are using the "du" command to look for disk file usage.

If you can't find a file that is causing this problem, you might consider
whether you deleted a file. If you delete a file on Unix, say a log file,
the directory entry may be gone, but if a process still has that file open
and is sending data into the file, you'll see the disk space continuing to
be consumed, but won't be able to point to the file that is causing it. That
behavior probably varies with specific UNIX versions.

Dennis Williams

On 5/15/07, Guang Mei <GuangMei@xxxxxxx> wrote:

 Did you check all the directories in /oracle to see which files are
filling up your disk space? Is it creating archive logs (which mean some big
transaction(s) going on), or creating trace files? Core dumps?  You need to
figure out which files and processes are causing this problem.

Guang

*Subject:* Something is filling up my /oracle file system - URGENT

Something is chewing up the space in /oracle filesystem (AIX). I have
trimmed all the log files I could find. No sooner do I free up the space
than it gets used up.