Re: Slightly OT: SQL Server conference vs. Oracle conferences...

  • From: Michael Fontana <michael.fontana@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 13:40:38 -0600 (CST)

I think professional conference format and quality from RDBMS vendors are fair
game for discussion on this list.

Especially when they could be considered as much a vendor "product" as customer
support, training and software.  I know they are
often heavily attended, well-marketed, and much time and effort goes into their
presentation.

Very few enterprise DBA are strictly Oracle anymore.  While I would never deny
that it doesn't occur quite regularly
at Oracle events as well, there seems to be quite a bit more vendor parroting
and cheerleading at Microsoft events.

I have seen quite probing and critical reviews of Oracle software even at OOW.
I wonder if that would ever occur at
a Microsoft event?  Would they let a MAC guy speak?