Re: Slightly OT: SQL Server conference vs. Oracle conferences...

  • From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Kellyn Pedersen <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 17:22:47 -0800 (PST)

Some very good points Kellyn. I've talked to several people at this conference
that have the same experience with SQL Server that we do.... It got released
into the wild because IT was not agile enough to meet the needs of the customer
or because it was "just" an off the shelf application.... Not just one got
released into the wild but a whole bunch did... proliferation of what really
were enterprise databases, managed and designed by someone who was not a DBA
and in (some) cases actually had some disdain for the value of a DBA/modeler.

Then, someone with some experience comes in and sees the mess that's been
created, or some disaster occurs or both.... and the DBA realm has to come in,
play sheriff and get these things in-line.

I see real value in multi-platfor/db experience and I see a real opportunity
for Sheriff's in the future as these rough-shod/Windows ridin'/hibernate
toatin' rascals of the west find that they have done themselves and their
Enterprise a big disservice long term. Maybe I need to put out my Shingle,
Robert Freeman, OCP/ACE and SQL Server Sheriff....

 Robert G. Freeman
Oracle ACE
Ask me about on-site Oracle Training! RMAN, DBA, Tuning, you name it!
Author:
Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON IT'S WAY SOON!
OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide
(Sybex)
Other various titles