RE: Slightly OT: SQL Server conference vs. Oracle conferences...

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kjped1313@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 12:49:33 -0500

Kelly,

    I guess I'd have to agree with you.  A database is a database no
matter the RDBMS that it runs under, I just happen to prefer Oracle.
But that does not mean that I only work on Oracle.  Sql*Server, MySql,
and Oracle are prevalent around here.  But it is getting way too easy
for a non DBA type to run setup and install whatever they like, wherever
they want and make it mission critical.

    Lets take a short walk back in time, say 10 years or thereabouts,
when a young software developer put MySql on his desktop, created a
spaghetti like VB program with lots of unlicensed DLL's that he got off
of the internet into place that feed a part of the manufacturing line.
Now no one, save for himself knew anything about this database or
application for several months till a badly placed cup of coffee spilled
causing a lot of smoke & a small amount of fire inside the case.  No
backups, no data exports, not even a backup copy of the VB source.  Yes
the onsite DBA (me) got called in to clean up the mess, more of a failed
salvage mission.  The young developer and his manager (who also did not
like the IT department or the DBA) resigned the next morning.  The
assembly line was idle for 2 weeks thereafter.  Bother!!

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/NA Team Lead
PAREXEL International

________________________________

        From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
        Subject: Slightly OT: SQL Server conference vs. Oracle
conferences...
        To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        Date: Wednesday, November 4, 2009, 9:27 AM

        I'm in Seattle this week attending SQL Pass (anyone else in
Oracle-L here?). I'd liken SQL Pass, somewhat, to Collaborate though it
is very database specific. I'd say there are maybe 1500 to 2000
attending here (I've seen no numbers, this is only a guess). Yes, I'm a
man who is visiting a foreign country. I wear my Oracle shirt proudly
and got a few interesting looks in the process yesterday.

        One thing I've noticed (thus far) is the maturity at this
conference (and fairly I've been one day only so far) is NOTHING like
those at the bigger Oracle conferences such as Collaborate, RMOUG or
HOTSOS. The level and depth of the speaking at the Oracle conferences is
much better than what I've seen here. I've yet to see a presentation
that wows me as I have from the likes of Tom Kyte, Tim Gorman, Cary
Millsap and the like. There is a level of maturity that is missing here
I think, both in presentations, style and content. Anyway, I fully
recognize that my Oracle bigotry might be showing, but I'm not all that
impressed. Let's see how I feel at the end of the week.

        Just thought I'd share.

        Cheers!

        RF

        Robert G. Freeman
        Oracle ACE
        Ask me about on-site Oracle Training! RMAN, DBA, Tuning, you
name it!
        Author:
        Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON
IT'S WAY SOON!
        OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional
Study Guide (Sybex)
        Other various titles
<http://robertgfreeman.blogspot.com/>