Re: RMAN question about losing Catalog repository

  • From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx, "ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Oracle L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 19:14:38 -0800 (PST)

On caveat here is if the backup you want to restore is > 365 days old there
will not be a control file record. If the backup you want to restore was
created > control_file_record_keep_time then the control file records might
well be gone.  Those with legal requirements to maintain long term backups need
to be aware of this and make sure the recovery catalog is backed up.

 Robert G. Freeman
Oracle ACE
Ask me about on-site Oracle Training! RMAN, DBA, Tuning, you name it!
Author:
Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON ITS WAY SOON!
OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide
(Sybex)
Other various titles
Check out my new blog series on installing Oracle Database 11gR2 on Windows
using VMWare!