Re: [QUARANTINE] Re: PL/SQL Development Tool Of Choice

  • From: Ethan Post <post.ethan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 16:14:01 -0500

There is a Kickstarter project that is well funded around the idea of a new
style of IDE.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ibdknox/light-table

Interesting stuff. Toad and SQL Developer probably won't head in this
direction and if they do it will likely be poorly implemented and on top of
what they already have.

I have been playing with Sublime for Windows myself. Haven't tried coding
in it and I don't see much for PL/SQL out there but I like the interface
and apparently it is very programmable.

We are coming to a day when we will be able to configure our existing
editors and the programs that will inevitably come along to compete with
Light Table to the point that they offer enough incentive and ease of use
to move away from the current options. They will be fast and light and
cheap, which will suit many of us who like to tweak our tool belts and
don't like to grovelling for $$.