RE: Oracle licensing...Named User Plus Enterprise Edition Oracle Database.

  • From: Bertrand Guillaumin <bertrand.guillaumin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "exriscer@xxxxxxxxx" <exriscer@xxxxxxxxx>, "Johnson, William L (TEIS)" <WLJohnson@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 13:21:47 +0000

Hi,
Just to add some precisions to what has been said .
In oracle licensing, you have minimums for the number of named user plus
licenses you need depending on the edition you use(you can find information
about the minimums in the Oracle Software investment Guide
http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/sig-070616.pdf ) :
Enterprise Edition : 25 NUP per Oracle Processor(so 50% of your number of cores
for Enterprise Edition on x86) : 600 NUP in your case. It implies you have a
50% maximal reduction possible when licensing EE with NUP compared to
PROC(since 50 NUP licenses = 1 PROC license).
SE or SE1 : 5 users for the whole company(no server metrics or CPU metrics
involved) : 5 NUP in your case(this is the calculated minimum, not the number
of licenses to purchase ! )
SE2 : 10 users per server : 50 NUPs in your case.
Personal Edition : Limited to single user environment deployments(not available
for multi users environments).

So here you effectively need 600 NUP licenses for Enterprise Edition, since
you need to license the calculated minimum of NUP(600) or the number of
users(23) whichever is greater.
It implies that for SE or SE1 you would need 23 NUP(number of users), for SE2
50 NUP(calculated minimum).

Best regards,
Bertrand Guillaumin