Oracle licensing...Named User Plus Enterprise Edition Oracle Database.

  • From: "Johnson, William L (TEIS)" <WLJohnson@xxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 21:08:13 +0000

I know there have been many, many threads in the past on Oracle licensing. I
still have a question and need some input.

I would want to license development databases by Named User Plus for this
exercise.

I only have 23 developers to license for this exercise. There are no other
users, no internet access and no machine accounts connecting - only the 23
developers access the environment.

I want licenses for the following landscape that consists of five X86
technology servers. Four servers have eight cores and one server has sixteen
cores.

How many NUP licenses do I need to buy - and why?

A: 200 NUP licenses? (16 * 50% * 25)
B: 600 NUP licenses? (4 * (8 * 50% * 25) + (16 * 50% * 25))
C: Some other number I do not know about...

Here is the crayon drawing of the landscape...
As a side note, I do not wish to license by some strange metric like Named User
Plus Server licenses - think Microsoft CAL when thinking about this exercise.
The license is called Named User Plus - there is no reference to a server or
machine in the title or description of the license.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input.

[cid:image001.png@01D13688.EDD5A9B0]

PNG image