Re: Oracle licensing...Named User Plus Enterprise Edition Oracle Database.

  • From: Ls Cheng <exriscer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Johnson, William L (TEIS)" <WLJohnson@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 22:26:46 +0100

it's 600 NUP you need, forgot to say that

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 10:25 PM, Ls Cheng <exriscer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

hi

you have to license 23 developers in every single server, it works like
you have said, Named User Plus Server licenses

I am pretty sure it works this way because one of my customer was audited
by LMS, this customer has 1200 NUP accessing around 20 servers, they
thought NUP can access unlimited servers if the users are in the 1200 NUP
model, it turns out that it does not work such way

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 10:08 PM, Johnson, William L (TEIS) <
WLJohnson@xxxxxx> wrote:

I know there have been many, many threads in the past on Oracle
licensing. I still have a question and need some input.

I would want to license development databases by Named User Plus for this
exercise.

I only have 23 developers to license for this exercise. There are no
other users, no internet access and no machine accounts connecting – only
the 23 developers access the environment.

I want licenses for the following landscape that consists of five X86
technology servers. Four servers have eight cores and one server has
sixteen cores.

How many NUP licenses do I need to buy – and why?

A: 200 NUP licenses? (16 * 50% * 25)

B: 600 NUP licenses? (4 * (8 * 50% * 25) + (16 * 50% * 25))

C: Some other number I do not know about…

Here is the crayon drawing of the landscape…

As a side note, I do not wish to license by some strange metric like
Named User Plus Server licenses – think Microsoft CAL when thinking
about this exercise. The license is called Named User Plus – there is no
reference to a server or machine in the title or description of the license.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input.

PNG image