Re: Migrate from AIX to Linux

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 05:01:02 -0700

Matt,

Extra work? Not for the DBA, and not when you consider that the "standard" RMAN approach requires three full copies (3x) of the database being converted...

1. Original database in READ WRITE on UNIX (i.e. Solaris, HP-UX, AIX)
2. Copy of database in READ ONLY on UNIX (a.k.a. conversion "source")
* Creating this copy often needs to happen multiple times for TTS
and XPP "validation"
3. Copy of database in READ WRITE on Linux (a.k.a. conversion "target")

What Kyle describes uses about 1.3x of the size of the original database, not 3.0x...

1. Original database in READ WRITE on UNIX (i.e. Solaris, HP-UX, AIX)
2. dSource of database (consuming 1/3rd the size of the original database)
* Copy of database in READ ONLY on UNIX (a.k.a. conversion
"source") consuming zero bytes and 5-10 mins to create
o Creating this copy often needs to happen multiple times for
TTS and XPP "validation"
* Copy of database in READ WRITE on Linux (a.k.a. conversion
"target") consuming less than 100 GB of storage

All of this may not matter when you're discussing cross-platform migration of a small database, but small databases rarely cause difficulties of any kind.

Besides, if you've done the process "manually", then having the whole process employing TTS automated already should be very attractive.

I've also spent some time documenting the process online here <https://community.delphix.com/delphix/topics/cross-platform-provisioning-xpp-or-unix-to-linux-u2l-is-the-first-step-to-migrate-to-the-cloud>, if that helps?

Thanks!

-Tim

On 12/15/15 0:48, Dimensional DBA wrote:

Seems like extra unnecessary work Kyle, than just using the standard rman methodology proposed.

Deepak, what is your outage window allowed for this database?

*Matthew Parker*

*Chief Technologist*

*425-891-7934 (cell)*

*Dimensional.dba@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Dimensional.dba@xxxxxxxxxxx>*