RE: Oracle Virtualbox Networking Multiple VMS (question for advanced Virtualbox users)

  • From: "Taylor, Chris David" <ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Kevin Lidh' <kevin.lidh@xxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 15:42:00 -0500

Kevin,

Worked [almost] like a charm!

Here's the details for this particular piece if anyone is interested (or
happens upon this in the future):

1.) Install VMWare Player which installs 2 Network Adapters VMnet1 (Host
Adapter) and VMnet8 (NAT Adapter) on HOST PC
        VMNet1 IP Adapter Address: 192.168.146.1
        VMNet8 IP Adapter Address: 192.168.129.1

2.) Make sure that "VMware Bridge Protocol" is checked for the VMnet8 Adapter
properties.  (Goto Network Adapters in Control Panel, Right Click the VMware
Network Adapter VMnet8 and click 'Properties' and make sure the bridge protocol
is checked)

3.) Enabling Bridge Protocol on the VMNet8 adapter had the side-effect of
disabling HOSTS lookup on the HOST for GUEST DNS queries (meaning an NSLOOKUP
from the Guest OS would only query the DNS server of the host and *NOT* query
the hosts file).  When using VMnet8 adapter as a NAT only, nslookup queries
will use both the HOSTS file and the DNS server of the HOST OS.

To get around this limitation, I configured DUAL DHCP DNS SERVER from
sourceforge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/dhcp-dns-server/ )  Hat Tip to
"achaldhir" for a fantastic product!
For this particular product I only configured the DNS feature which runs on the
HOST machine and passes DNS requests to the forwarding DNS server (domain DNS
server) *OR* it looks up the alias in the local dualserver.ini file and then
passes the address back to the guest.

4.) Configure your VMS:
        Adapter1 = Bridged, Adapter=VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet8
        Adapter2 = Host-Only Adapter, VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter

5.) Configure VirtualBox Host-Only Network IP Address Range under
"File->Preferences->Network" (I made mine 10.0.0.1 and will be the RAC PRIVATE
addresses)

6.) On Guest OS
        Configure eth0 with an ip address in the 192.168.129.1-254 range (make
sure this entry exists in the Dual Server DHCP DNS ini file)
        Configure eth1 with an ip address to match your host-only network
configuration (I chose 10.0.0.101 - see step 5 above)

7.) Restart networking on Guest vms and verify you can use nslookup for outside
and internal host names (google, rac1, rac2 etc)

8.) verify connectivity between Guest Oss using both public/private IP
addresses you configured.

I probably should write a more detailed how-to but don't have time at the
moment.  If I can get to it, I'll send out an update with the link detailing
the complete steps.

Chris Taylor

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort."
-- John Ruskin (English Writer 1819-1900)

Any views and/or opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily
reflect the views of Ingram Industries, its affiliates, its subsidiaries or its
employees.